Dana focuses her practice on corrections and law enforcement defense, government liability defense, including defense of 42 U.S.C. Section 1983, Bivens claims, and state law tort claims. She works with attorneys throughout the firm to counsel and defend law enforcement agencies, corrections departments, government agencies, and other public and private entities in Arizona and across the nation.
Prior to joining the firm, Dana was an associate in a Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania law firm where she practiced insurance defense and transportation law. Dana also served as a law clerk to the Honorable Judge Mark D. Stevens of the Crawford County Court of Common Pleas.
Presentations and Publications:
- Dana co-authored “Managing the Risk of Unmanned Air Vehicles”, which was featured as a cover story in the January, 2018 issue of Public Risk, a monthly magazine published by the Public Risk Management Association. The article explores the constitutional implications of unmanned air vehicles, or “drones”, under the Fourth Amendment’s protections against unreasonable searches and seizure, and analyzes the current legal landscape and enacted state legislation regarding government-owned drones, and the potential liabilities and risk associated with their ownership and use in light of future technological advances.
- B.K., et al. v. Faust, et al., CV15-00185-ROS (D. Ariz. 2015) – Defended governmental entity responsible for providing Medicaid benefits to Plaintiffs’ class of approximately 18,000 foster children.
- Arias, et al., v. Transcor America LLC, et al., CV17-02995-SMB (D. Ariz. November 12, 2020) – Obtained defense verdict on Eighth Amendment and negligence claims where Plaintiff alleged Defendants applied his restraints too tightly, which caused permanent nerve damage in his arms, wrists and hands.
- Godin v. Corrections Corporation of America, et al., Vermont Superior Court, 364-10-16 Frcv – Obtained a defense verdict in a trial involving serious injuries in a failure to protect case.
- Phanpradith v. Griego, et al., CV-16-04094-PHX-JJT (D. Ariz. October 25, 2019) – Obtained defense verdict in case involving disciplinary segregation inmate’s allegation of an Eighth Amendment conditions of confinement violation asserting denial of access to hygiene items, bedding, and exposure to excessive cold. Prior to trial, the Court granted summary judgment in favor of Defendants on the inmate’s due process violation claims related to placement in segregation and placement on property restriction. The case is currently on appeal to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Dana enjoys hiking, checking out the local food scene, all things Pittsburgh sports, and spending time with her dog, Lewie.